Toddlers transition from 2 naps to 1 nap round 15-18 months outdated, on common, after which will sleep 11-12 hours at evening plus 2-3 hours through the day. This text will inform you transition from 2 naps to 1 nap based mostly on my 15+ years as an toddler and toddler sleep guide.
When Do Toddlers Transition From 2 Naps to 1 Nap?
As I discussed above, most toddlers will transition from 2 naps to 1 nap round 15-18 months outdated, on common. Nevertheless, in my a few years as a sleep guide, I discover many 13-14-month-olds are able to transition. There are just a few necessary particulars to concentrate to earlier than you do the transition.
How Do You Know It’s Time to Transition to 1 Nap?
Though we’ve got an in depth article with the signs to transition from 2 naps to 1 nap, right here’s a quick abstract:
- It seems like you’re “operating out of daytime” for 2 naps. If nighttime sleep has dropped beneath 10 hours and you’re feeling squeezed for time, it’s most likely time to transition.
- Your toddler has a split night, that means they’re awake and alert for 1-3 hours in the midst of the evening.
- In case your toddler is skipping one among their naps 4 or extra occasions every week, it could be time to transition to a 1-nap schedule.
- Lastly, in case your toddler’s bedtime rivals your individual or they’ll’t go to sleep till very late at evening, it could be that their final wake window of the day has gotten too lengthy for a 2-nap schedule.
How one can Transition From 2 Naps to 1 Nap: 3 Strategies
There are a number of methods to transition naps and there isn’t a one-size-fits-all method that’s proper for each little one. Even kids throughout the identical family would possibly do it in several methods. Listed here are 3 methods you are able to do this necessary transition so you may get it proper on your little one:
Methodology 1: Squeeze the First Nap
In case your toddler tolerates being woken up from a nap, you may strive squeezing the primary nap out so the second nap turns into their noon and solely nap. To squeeze the primary nap out, you begin by step by step lowering the morning nap till it’s a catnap. Then encourage a 1-2-hour noon or afternoon nap. Right here’s an instance:
Instance of Shortening the Morning Nap
Day 1: Morning Nap = 50 minutes, Afternoon Nap = 1 hour 30-50 minutes, Complete = 2 hours 20-40 minutes
Day 2: Morning Nap = 45 minutes, Afternoon Nap = 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours, Complete = 2 hours 30-45 minutes
Day 3: Morning Nap = Half-hour, Afternoon Nap = 2+ hours, Complete = 2 Half-hour to three hours
Finally, you’ll cease providing the morning nap whenever you assume your toddler is prepared.
- Toddlers who tolerate being woken up from a nap
- Toddlers who nonetheless have a shorter (3 to three.5-hour morning wake window)
- Toddlers who’re skipping their afternoon nap however not prepared for a 1-nap schedule
- Your toddler should still skip their afternoon nap even with a brief morning nap through which case you’d comply with Methodology 3 beneath.
- Your toddler could be overtired after a brief morning nap after which take a brief afternoon nap. Give it just a few days earlier than you reevaluate. They might merely want to regulate.
Methodology 2: Squeeze the Second Nap
With this methodology, your aim is to step by step transfer the morning nap to later till it turns into the one-and-only nap. To implement this methodology, you begin transferring the primary wake window later within the morning by 15-Half-hour day-after-day or each different day. Then permit the nap to be so long as your toddler desires. Provide a second nap after a 4-hour wake window. If it’s getting too late within the day, shorten this nap till it’s a 30-45-minute catnap (if that’s a problem.) Right here’s an instance:
Instance of Transferring the Morning Nap Later
Day 1: Morning Wake Window = 3.5 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours, Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours (Be aware: Bedtime would possibly quickly get late)
Day 2: Morning Wake Window = 3.75 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours, Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours
Day 3: Morning Wake Window = 4 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours (think about shortening this nap), Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours
Day 4: Morning Wake Window = 4.25 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours (think about shortening this nap), Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours (if afternoon nap occurred)
Day 5: Morning Wake Window = 4.5 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours (think about shortening this nap), Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours (if afternoon nap occurred)
Day 6: Morning Wake Window = 4.75 hours, Bedtime Wake Window = 4.5 hours (no second nap)
Finally, the primary nap will get late sufficient and lengthy sufficient that the afternoon nap gained’t be taken or it will likely be too late within the day to supply it. In case your toddler is typically taking a day nap and never on different days, supply bedtime earlier on these days (~6:30 or 7:00 PM).
- Toddlers who do NOT tolerate being woken up from naps (cranky and fussy)
- Toddlers who skip the afternoon nap a number of days every week regardless of how brief or lengthy the morning nap is
- Toddlers with lengthy morning wake home windows, already
- Toddlers who would possibly take a brief morning nap because the wake window will increase
- Your toddler would possibly drop the afternoon nap in a short time
- Your toddler may take a brief morning nap, nevertheless, the afternoon nap permits them to catch up earlier than bedtime that evening, one of many advantages of this methodology
- Your toddler would possibly take two brief naps, as a substitute, however that is non permanent and a part of the transition in some circumstances.
Methodology 3: Abrupt Change of the Schedule
The ultimate methodology is solely to maneuver your toddler to a 1-nap schedule abruptly. Normally, if we do that it’s as a result of the morning wake window is already 4 hours (or longer) and the toddler is already skipping their afternoon nap most days. OR the toddler awake for a protracted time frame in the midst of the evening (insomnia). With this methodology, you merely cease providing the second nap, transfer the primary wake window to 4 1/2 to five hours, and encourage at the very least a 2+ hour nap.
How Lengthy Does it Take to Transition From 2 Naps to 1 Nap?
Typically talking, it takes roughly 2-3 weeks to transition from 2 naps to 1 nap. As well as, your toddler would possibly want two naps a few times every week whereas they transition. This can curb a few of the overtiredness.
Some days could also be higher than others nevertheless it’s widespread, and anticipated, for overtiredness to happen. We will’t all the time keep away from that however after just a few weeks, your toddler ought to regulate. That’s, they are going to regulate supplied they’ve the best 1-nap schedule for a toddler. Ensure you regulate it to suit your little one!
I hope this text has helped you along with your toddler’s schedule! Should you want any assist, you realize the place to show.