Hooper rises to the highest of strongman in one of many extra meteoric rises within the sport’s historical past.
Mitchell Hooper is the champion of the 2023 World’s Strongest Man (WSM). The athlete is the primary Canadian victor within the contest’s illustrious 46-year historical past. After an all-around dominant efficiency from begin to end, it’s abundantly clear that Hooper got here, noticed, and conquered over the remainder of strongman’s elite performers in Myrtle Seaside, SC.
Rounding out the 2023 WSM podium have been Tom Stoltman (second place) and Oleksii Novikov (third place). A runner-up end is admirable and a high quality outcome for Stoltman, however it was additionally assuredly not what the previous two-time champion (2021-2022) hoped for. In the meantime, Novikov takes house his second consecutive podium end after capturing the 2020 WSM title.
Listed here are the standings from the Finals of the 2023 WSM:
2023 World’s Strongest Man Finals Standings
- Mitchell Hooper (Canada) | 2023 WSM champion
- Tom Stoltman (United Kingdom)
- Oleksii Novikov (Ukraine)
- Trey Mitchell (United States)
- Evan Singleton (United States)
- Pavlo Kordiyaka (Ukraine)
- Brian Shaw (United States)
- Luke Stoltman (United Kingdom)
- Matthew Ragg (New Zealand)
- *Jaco Schoonwinkel (South Africa) | *Withdrew on contest’s final day
To notch his first profession WSM title, Hooper largely cleared via the competitors’s occasions schedule.
Within the Qualifying Spherical, Hooper gained 4 of the 5 occasions the place he participated in Group 3, guaranteeing he wouldn’t must compete within the climactic Stone Off for a berth within the Finals. As soon as the weekend’s Finals got here round, Hooper gained 4 of 5 occasions earlier than the well-known Atlas Stones even occurred, just about guaranteeing himself the title on a mathematical foundation barring outright catastrophe. He would then are available second to cement the victory. Hooper completed his 2023 WSM championship efficiency with a convincing 53.5 factors, lapping the remainder of his highly effective friends by 4.5 factors.
Mitchell Hooper 2023 World’s Strongest Man Occasion Outcomes
Right here’s an summary of how Hooper fared occasion by occasion through the 2023 WSM:
Qualifying Spherical (Group 3)
- Loading Race — First place | 5 implements, 52.14 seconds
- Deadlift Machine — First place | Eight reps
- Log Ladder — First place | 5 reps, 39.51 seconds
- Conan’s Wheel — First place | 636 levels
- Kettlebell Toss — Second place | Six reps, 17.18 seconds
- Reign Complete Physique Gasoline Defend (Warmth 3) — First place | 64.8 meters
- KNAACK Deadlift — First place | Eight reps
- Fingal’s Fingers — Sixth place | 5 reps, 49.89 seconds
- Max Dumbbell — First place | 4 lifts
- Bus Pull — First place | 30.24 seconds
- Atlas Stones — Second place | 5 stones, 36.96 seconds
Hooper’s first WSM title caps what may be one of many extra jarring rises that strongman has ever seen. The athlete’s first-ever skilled present was as a rookie within the 2022 WSM, the place he initially entered as a reserve earlier than qualifying for the Finals. He finally scored an eighth-place lead to what now looks like a harbinger of the dominance to return.
That’s as a result of it’s been full steam forward for the Canadian athlete ever since.
After his 2022 WSM blitz, Hooper certified for the rostrum in 9 of 9 contests, together with the 2023 WSM. Together with his WSM victory within the account, Hooper has now gained 5 of his final six competitions. His WSM triumph apart, the opposite 4 contest wins are the 2022 Arnold Strongman Classic UK (ASCUK), the 2022 Giants Live World Tour Finals (GLWTF), the 2023 Australia’s Strongest International (ASI), and the 2023 Arnold Strongman Classic (ASC).
It’s unimaginable to exactly predict what lies in retailer for Hooper’s aggressive future. Nonetheless, he simply accomplished one of many extra outstanding one-year runs ever in strongman with a WSM championship and remains to be simply 27 years outdated.
It’s not arduous to examine the brand new king of the game holding onto his throne for a very long time.
Featured picture: Todd Burandt / Courtesy of World’s Strongest Man